- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4oz container of unsweetened applesauce
- 1¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- For rolling mixture:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a bowl and set aside.
- With an electric mixer, mix the applesauce and sugars until thoroughly blended. Add vanilla and stir. Add the dry ingredients slowly and beat on low-speed just until combined.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Meanwhile mix 1/4 cup sugar and the 2 teaspoons cinnamon in a bowl. Divide cookies onto baking sheets and sprinkle each cookie with cinnamon/sugar mixture.
- Bake the cookies 8-11 minutes or until the edges of the cookies begin to turn golden brown. They will look a bit underdone in the middle, but will continue to cook once out of the oven. Bake longer if you like crispier cookies. Cool the cookies on the sheets at least 2 minutes.
- For a fluffier more rounded cookie chill dough in refrigerator for three hours. Then roll individual cookies into balls and roll them through the cinnamon/sugar mixture.
Makes 36 cookies
69 calories per cookie